From New York to LA and everywhere in between, the US is involved in a pretty serious love affair with yoga.
The Yoga Epicentres:
- San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose, CA
- Seattle-Tacoma, WA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Washington D.C.
- New York City
(US Cities with the most Yoga Practitioners)
The most interesting US Yoga facts:
- 55% of yoga practitioners have never practiced yoga in a yoga studio
- 98% of practitioners consider themselves to be beginner or intermediate level practitioners
- The top 3 reasons people do yoga are the enjoyment of yoga itself, yoga’s impact on health and yoga as a stress reliever
- 50% of yoga practitioners say they live green, eat sustainably and donate time to their community.
- 36.7 million Americans or 15% of US adults practice yoga in the US, of which 10million are men
(2016 Yoga in America Survey)
The Diversity of the Yoga Scene:
To showcase the diversity of the yoga scene in the US, we’ve selected studios that have excelled in a certain area.
Coolest Interior Award - Amrita Yoga & Wellness, Philadelphia
Designed to feel like a beautiful, magical escape away from the city. Amrita is adorned with skylights in every classroom, an indoor waterfall, roaring fireplaces, lots of natural stone.
Sensuality Award - Tranquil Space, Washington D.C.
A yoga studio and eco-boutique where sessions end with lavender face mists, eye masks and serve tea and cookies. Bliss!
Authentic Practice Award - Miami Life Center, Florida
Founded by Kino MacGregor, one of the youngest women to undertake the fourth series of Ashtanga, MLC hosts Ashtanga, traditional Mysore and Vinyasa classes of the highest standard in brand new practice rooms with bamboo floors and plush facilties.
Workout Award - Spira Power Yoga, Seattle, WA
Spira focuses on an athletic yoga style as the key to an active and healthy life, working particularly to minimize stress and maximize joy. Expect to sweat!
Value Award - Yoga Agora, New York, NY
Great location. Beautiful sun-drenched space. Good range of styles and instructors, who are very welcoming and patient. Focused on the practical rather than spiritual yoga. Very affordable.
Uniqueness Award - Wanderlust YOGA, Austin, TXBeautiful studios with a really special vibe. Their staff are so lovely and genuine, they inject a lot of fun and diversity with their unique classes set in different locations accompanied by funky live music to compliment the flow. With a huge range of classes to suit all levels of Yoga and styles, our picks are Bittersweet Yoga massage class and Yo-Strong for strength building.